The Cathedral of Saint-Andre is a sacred building in Bordeaux, that serves as the seat of the Archdiocese of Bordeaux. The building was classified as a historic monument in 1862. The cathedral is the largest and most important in the city.
It is 124 meters long, 18 meters wide in the transept, 23 meters high, and 29 meters high in the nave in the choir. The essentially Gothic building, from the late twelfth to the fifteenth centuries, extends from an Angevin Romanesque church that is preserved in the western nave. The inauguration took place in 1096 by Pope Urban II. This cathedral was the site of the marriages of Eleanor of Aquitaine to Louis VII in 1137, and of Louis XIII to Anna of Austria in 1615.
The recently renovated north portal shows a Royal Portal with rich, sculptural decoration from the thirteenth century standing next to the nave. It is dominated by two 81-meter high towers with pointed, Gothic tower essays.
The transept and the choir, completed in 1360, are influenced by the northern French Gothic style, which is also especially evident at the high windows. The ambulatory is encircled by bands.
During the French Revolution, the interior of the cathedral was destroyed and converted into a barn. Since 1972, Saint-Andre has a new organ, after the famous 1748 organ by Dom Bedos de Celles returned to its rightful place in the church of Sainte-Croix.
The choir on the south side precedes the Tour Pey-Berland isolation bell tower, which is from the year 1440 and is named after Bishop Pey-Berland. In 1863, the 50-meter high tower with the statue of Notre-Dame d’Aquitaine was built.
The cathedral stands, since 1998, as part of the “Camino de Santiago” on the UNESCO World Heritage List.